It all began in 1946 when the Bureau of Federal Credit Unions approved the charter for Salisbury Axle Federal Credit Union. Just two years later, membership was at 591 and growing. By 1960 membership had almost doubled and for the next several decades up to the present time, this number would rapidly increase. Currently membership is over 45,000 and still growing.
Part of this growth can be attributed to the ongoing innovations Fort Financial Credit Union has incorporated for its members. Advances in member services and technology continues to keep costs to a minimum, while offering members a larger return on accounts than other area financial institutions.
In 1977, the credit union’s name was changed from Salisbury Axle Federal Credit Union to Dana Corporation Federal Credit Union. The following year, a new Fort Wayne, IN facility was built. In the spring of 2002, the credit union expanded its services into the Fort Wayne Meijer stores.
The credit union officially became Fort Financial Credit Union in December of 2002 and was adopted at the 56th annual meeting in February 2003.
In November 2013, Fort Financial opened a new branch at 4929 E. Dupont Road in Fort Wayne, IN to better serve its growing membership in the Northern Fort Wayne area.
Currently, Fort Financial operates branches located in Indiana, Mississippi, and North Carolina. The credit union’s three Fort Wayne Meijer in-store branches offer 7 day/week hours, even on most major holidays, to offer greater convenience to members.
Fort Financial continues to develop new products and services to meet the ever-changing needs of its growing membership.